Tuesday, June 2, 2009

daily life.

So, SOUTH AFRICA! I am seriously loving every minute here (per normal). It is very, very busy, but I love it that way!

A little update on my cooking...I cooked CHICKEN the other day!!!!! I was so proud of myself, and I started laughing as soon as I threw it in the pan. The girls all looked over at me, like, "What is WRONG with her?!" and I just exclaimed, "I'm cooking CHICKEN!" They all laughed. They might think I'm a little crazy, but we're all getting along so well. I cooked the chicken with this red curry sauce I bought...it was EXTREMELY spicy! My mouth literally felt like I had FLAMES coming out of it. Now I know better, I guess...

The tricky thing is that we don't have a real oven or stove here. We have a microwave (which actually triples as a microwave/voice recorder/radio. Yes, I'm serious. I listen to music coming out of the MICROWAVE!), a toaster, and this large version of a toaster oven (about the size of a large microwave) that has two cooktop things on top. Apparently they don't work very well...Beth tried to cook rice on it the other day, and it took her over two hours. TWO HOURS! So yeah, my limited cooking experience will do me no good, especially considering that everything is in Celsius... :)

Here I work in the "Starfish" room, which is the room for babies with special needs (when I say babies, I mean anywhere from 7 to 18 months). Most of them have developmental issues, and not many know how to walk yet. There are two boys and four girls, and all of them are very possessive about wanting someone to hold them all the time! My arms get very tired, haha...

I start work at 7:00 AM, which means I wake up at 6:00 and leave by 6:50. Here is my schedule at work:

7:15-wake babies up, change them, bathe them
8:15-bottle time!
9:00-exercises (we do physical and occupational therapy with them)
10:00-12:00-nap time, make the kids' lunch, do dishes, take out trash, put wash on the line, clean the tub
12:00-wake up babies, feed them lunch
2:00-nap time
3:00-wake babies up
3:15-music time (with motions!)
3:45-outside time
4:30-dinner time
5:00-get in pajamas
5:15-watch this worship Baby Einstein-like video...it is awesome haha
6:00-the night shift comes, and I go home to try to figure out how to cook!

So...it's a busy day haha. I can't even stay awake much past 9:30 anymore, which is a little sad for someone who considered herself a night person!

I hope you all are doing well!

All to Him,
Emily

7 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for cooking chicken (also, I did not know that you didn't know how to cook an egg). You will be such an unstoppable cook when you get home.

    Your days are so intense! I remember going to bed last night and thinking, "Is Emily awake now? No--it's 6am there. Too early." It sounds like you have such an incredible time with your babies. How are the rooms set up there? How many babies per room? Do you have any supervisors there to help you with the kids your assigned to/boss you around?

    Oh, and what's the weather like?

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Em!! I'm glad you could cook chicken! I can't believe you don't know how to cook eggs!? :-) So what has been your fav. part of your trip so far? Alright well I love you, and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, yeah...Africa sounds awesome. I'm praying for you. Walk in Christ. He's got you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're all ready for student teaching with that sleeping schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. good morning darling! it sounds like you could use one of those naptimes!! I miss you loads and I love hearing about what you're doing! and I am jealous you get to hold those adorable babies all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again, Em! It's technology-ignorant Leslie again!
    So good to hear about your daily schedule! how does it feel to be a little mommy to 6 kids at once!? Good practice for your sextuplets I suppose...
    Oh and the first time you mentioned "SA" time, i felt so special because I proudly assumed that you were referring to San Antonio time just for me! Ha ha - I promise I'm not as slow as I seem...
    Love you and I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting, guys! I love reading them. :)

    Steph-the weather is similar to a very nice spring day in GCC...all the time. It rains only once in a blue moon (as in probably only once all "winter"). It is pretty cold in the morning and at night, but a track jacket normally does the trick in the morning. At night, I go to sleep in thick socks, sweatpants, a long sleeve and a fleece, if that gives you an idea of the temperature haha.

    Leslie-of course I am referring to San Antonio time, silly! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete